Monday, September 10, 2018

Sunshine and Hurricane


The other day, while I was traveling by train,
There was this girl by the window. 
The melancholy on her face, so full of pain.
I wondered what could have gone so wrong to bring so much of sorrow.

Beside me were two little kids of a young mother
Waving at cattle with a look of awe and wonder
They jumped and laughed and were having the time of their life
The poor mother had her hands full and a huge smile.

The girl by the window looked out at the plains
At the empty roads and railway tracks that passed by.
And occasionally she would raise her eyes.
But avert them as soon as she met my sight.

The kids meanwhile made a raucous 
They started this new game of circus
Though the game was less of fun and more of fight 
They still won hearts and spread delight.

The girl started fiddling with her phone
And her fingers stopped all at once. 
She was gazing. Having a long look
And was that a smile or were those the sunrays crisscrossing across her face?

But then her eyes welled up
I saw the perfect teardrop
Quickly I looked away
Lest that poor girl felt embarrassed.

A hurricane unfurled inside the girl
While the little chubbies were balls of pure love 
And I wondered just then
Is this what they call sunshine mixed with a little hurricane? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Those Were the Good Days of My Life

So full of energy, so full of fun Enthusiasm seems to run in the veins of each and every one Love one moment, curse the next But ea...