Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Life as Newb sees it


As a fresher, when you join a B-school, you don’t expect it to be very different than your undergrad college. Same old mass bunks, missing classes (or even if we somehow managed to reach the class in time, we would end up sleeping there), the 8 o’ clock deadline for the girl’s hostel. After all, it is a college. How different could it be?

But boy oh Boy, was I in for a surprise?

Back at my engineering college, we girls had to fight tooth and nail with our warden to get an extension of an hour past the deadline whereas here the day actually starts at 8 P.M. Co-ed hostels was something so far-fetched that we didn’t even dream of and now actually l am living in one. Coming from a slightly conservative college, this is definitely huge for me.

Next shock for me was the diversity. One can find freshers, like me, studying alongside with people born in a completely different decade. No doubt there are engineers, but there are students from fields as distinct as philosophy and English and physics. You finally get what “Unity in Diversity” actually feels like.

Mass bunks is an alien concept here. My three weeks Dussehra holidays turned to a 3-day weekend. Earlier, I would miss classes at my will and now missing a class would earn me a grade drop. Sleeping in classes to desperate class participation, craving for that 6lpa package to getting a stipend of almost double the amount for an internship,  from the flexible schedule to “sacrosanct” deadlines, a B-School definitely has its own eccentricities and charms.

Nevertheless, it’s been almost five months, that I have been here at XLRI, and the experiences I have had here are nothing compared to my undergrads. Starting from The completely different teaching methodology to a batch that feels like home and sticks together, a b-school gives the perfect glimpse of what stays in store when I finally come out of the sheltered cocoon to the big corporate world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Those Were the Good Days of My Life

So full of energy, so full of fun Enthusiasm seems to run in the veins of each and every one Love one moment, curse the next But ea...